This was my first time sewing something following a pattern. I’d been watching a lot of Project Runway and it somehow got into my head that I should sew dresses too! But of course, I didn’t know how to. Luckily, I remembered seeing this amazing pattern on BurdaStyle for the Coffee Date Dress. It only had about six pieces to it since I disregarded the interfacing and ruffle and the default size 36 measurements were just right for me.
The instructions are straightforward and the dress was for the most part, easy to put together. The two major issues I had were with the neckline and armholes and the back seam under the zipper. Even after I trimmed and clipped all the seam allowances, the neckline still would not lay flat. I haven’t figured out yet if it was an issue with the size of the neckline and armholes or something else entirely. As for the back seam under the zipper, it puckers in an odd V-shape. It may be because I didn’t cut out the pattern pieces very carefully… whoops!! I spent too much time ripping the seams of the neckline and armholes to try that again, but I will go back and try to fix that back seam.
Oh, and check out these wrinkles! 100% cotton is a no-no for me.
On the bright side, I learned it wasn’t hard to install an invisible zipper, especially onto a dress that’s already all sewn together except for the middle back seam. Here is the link to what will become my go-to invisible zipper tutorial.
Unfortunately, I found this next thing after I completed the dress, but apparently there is this amazing thing called sew-a-long’s for people who are beginners like me. Experienced seamstress bloggers like Bobbins of Basil choose a pattern such as this one and walk their followers through the entire process of constructing the garment, from cutting out the pattern pieces, sewing to making finishing touches in weekly segments. Their followers are sewing along and can post questions to the blog at any point to ask for help on any problems they are facing (this would have been great for my neckline issue :(). Sometimes, the bloggers also share tips on how to stray from the original design including adding lining, changing from back to side zip and adding sleeves. I am definitely going to look up sew-a-long’s for whatever pattern I choose next.
Working on this project was definitely a test of my patience, but overall I’m pleased with how it turned out! I have still have so much to learn but I’m excited!